THIS OLD HOUSE

HOUSES, PART II
Homes in Connecticut

These are old homes that the family has built and lived in over the years. Some of those designated historic are linked to websites set up by foundations, civic groups, etc.

Killingworth, Conn.
Horace Parmelee
1847

This was the home of Horace L. Parmelee [1819-1898; Moses, Asahel, Lemuel, Nathaniel, Nathaniel, John, John] and wife Eunice [1822-1905; Rufus, Cornelius, Josiah, Nathaniel, Nathaniel, John, John]; Horace and Eunice were third cousins. After her husband’s death, Eunice sold the farm to William Kathotka of New York in 1904, who then sold it to the Pavelka family in 1906. From 1948 to 1956, the property was owned by Edward and Martha McGrath, who ran it as the Farm in the Dell summer resort. It was then owned by the Bosco family and was known as Bosco’s Turkey Farm. The farm was purchased by the town of Killingworth in 2000 and it is operated as community open space, including trails and the Killingworth Community Gardens.


Guest House Retreat & Conference Center
Chester, Conn.
John Parmelee
c1775

This home was built by John Parmelee [1755-1828; Jeremiah, Lemuel, Nathaniel, Nathaniel, John, John] on the eve of the Revolution on property his father gave him in present-day Chester [then Saybrook] along the Killingworth town line. John, who served as a drummer in the war, moved to Vermont, where his father had relocated, and later took his family to Connecticut's Western Reserve, where he lived out the rest of his life on a farm near Sullivan, Ohio. His old house was incorporated into what became The Inn at Chester. It's now a conference center and home to a family baptism bowl. Click here to see a sign from the inn.


Newtown, Conn.
Jedidiah Parmelee

 

This home was built by Jedidiah Parmelee [1702-1786; Stephen, John, John] and is one of the oldest in Newtown. It's around the corner from his brother Noah's, below.


Newtown, Conn.
Noah Parmelee
1790

This house, on 24 Points o' Rocks Road, belonged to Noah Parmelee [1699/1700-1770; Stephen, John, John] and is around the corner from his brother Jedidiah's, above. The left side was built first, with two bake ovens by the fireplace.


Killingworth, Conn.
Samuel Parmelee
1772

A kitchen fire did significant damage to this home in January, 2006. The house, at 293 Route 148, has been recognized by the Killingworth Historical Society. The home was built by Samuel [1743-1808; Ezra, Nathaniel, Nathaniel, John, John]. Investigators determined that the fire started when a pot was left on the stove. Samuel's name can be found in Revolutionary War records.


New Haven, Conn.
Henry Spencer Parmelee
1884

Henry Barnard Hall, on the Yale campus, was built as a home for Charles H. Farnam. In 1891, it was the residence of Henry R. English. And in 1896, Henry Spencer Parmelee [1844-1902; Spencer "Thomas," Henry, Samuel, Joseph, Isaac, John, John], the man who patented the automatic fire sprinkler, bought it. His son Henry Francis (1875-1918) lived there until his death. Two years later it was purchased by the university. The building was assigned to the Department of Education, including the Yale Psycho-Clinic (1920-27). In 1925, the building at 28 Hillhouse Ave. was named to honor Henry Barnard, the first U.S. Commissioner of Education.