HOME, SWEET HOME

ORIGINAL HOME LOTS
1639 Map

Here are the original home lots of the town's settlers, copied from a map that hangs in the main hallway of Guilford Town Hall.

John Sr.'s lot at the north end of the Village Green, where the Congregational Church is today, is darkened at the center of the map, as is that of John Jr.'s original property, a little northeast of his father's.

Also note the lot of William Plain/Plaine, shaded gray on the southwest corner of the green. After his execution in the summer of 1646, his widow, Anna, married John Jr. She died shortly thereafter and John Jr. then married Hannah Plain/Plaine, his stepdaughter, thereby keeping this property in the family. (See the First Generations.)

Click on the thumbnail map to download a full-size copy. This is a large file.